At the turn of the century, health care professionals began to realize that fresh air and sanitation was the best way to take care of at-risk infants. To that end, Wesley Hospital erected a tent facility on the grounds in 1918 at the direction of Dr. Howard Norton. The next year, a larger tent facility was constructed in nearby North Riverside Park. But before the 1920 season opened, the tent camp burned. Led by Mrs. Norton, prominent women in the community organized fund-raising efforts for a new, permanent structure which was completed that summer and named the Fresh Air Baby Camp. In 1926, the Fresh Air program was moved to the new Wesley Hospital, and for the next 75 years the building was leased by the Girl Scout Council and was known as the Girl Scout Little House.