The Wichita Parks Foundation can't do what we do without you. We're putting together volunteer opportunities for the upcoming year, including 2 work days in some of Wichita's parks, opportunities to plant trees in our parks, and other event-specific volunteer opportunities. We'll post those opportunities on this page and through our social media channels. However, if you or your group have projects you'd like to undertake, we'd love to hear from you. Please contact Stacey Hamm, our development director.
or call 316 268-4124 for more information.
volunteers needed for red, white & boom on July 4th
The Wichita Parks Foundation has re-established the tradition of an Independence Day celebration in downtown Wichita! Last year, over 10,000 Wichitans came together for an evening of food trucks, music & fireworks.
Red, White & BOOM! is entirely funded by the community and organized by volunteers. That's where you come in! We are looking for volunteers to help us in various aspects of our event. Take a look at some of our volunteer shifts by clicking hte link below and sign up for any/all that you can. We couldn't do it without your help!
BOARD OF DIRECTORS POSITIONS
The Wichita Parks Foundation is currently recruiting volunteers to fill several board member positions. The Board of Directors consists of up to 7 members, including President, Treasurer and Secretary, plus ex-officio members. Directors serve staggered, three-year terms. Interested candidates will be evaluated on the following personal and/or professional characteristics during the selection process.
- Creative nature
- Problem solver
- Friendly / comfortable in social settings
- Community Involvement – Volunteerism
- Experience serving on non-profit boards or community organizations
- Willingness to serve without conflict of interest
- Team player
- Comfortable in fundraising roles
- Strength of social and professional circle of influence
- Department Director to C-Suite professional in career
- Sense of entrepreneurial spirit
- Work or Reside in the community
- Comfortable serving as ambassador/spokesperson for the organization
Above all, as a member of the volunteer Board of Directors, one will be asked to serve as a responsible steward of the mission of Wichita Parks Foundation. Furthermore, members of the board will serve the board without receiving any financial personal gain.
Please review some basic functions or requirements of a volunteer member of the Board of Directors.
Functions or requirements of a volunteer member of the Board of Directors include:
- Be aware / know the mission of the organization and its programs
- Be a passionate “good will ambassador” for the organization – inform others about the organization and its services
- Fundraise for the organization – meet specified individual fundraising goals by year end
- Stay informed of current events which affect park and recreation funding, facilities and programs in the city of Wichita
- Volunteer to serve on committees. Committees include Fundraising, Marketing, Volunteer and Capital Campaign (project specific)
- Attend all board and committee meetings – miss no more than 2 board meetings per calendar year (emergencies will be taken into consideration and handled as needed)
- Review agenda and materials prior to board meetings – come to meetings prepared to contribute constructively
- Attend or support organizations’ activities i.e. fund raising events.
- Recruit / be aware of others that would make good board members or committee members.
- Respect the values of the organization – no conflict of interest, no unlawful activities or involvement in areas deemed inappropriate
- Assist the organization in being fiscally responsible in carrying out the mission of the organization
- Make a personal financial contribution to the organization – commit to making a “give or get” contribution to assist in the overall fundraising requirements of the board
Interested individuals are encouraged to contact Brent Thomas, WPF Board Chairman, at 316-619-7647/ email@example.com or Stacey Hamm, WPF Development Director at 316-268-4124/ firstname.lastname@example.org to further discuss this opportunity to serve, and/or to submit your name as an interested prospect to serve on the board of directors.